- The USDOE is rescinding a 2005 rule on Title IX, but the change is largely symbolic.
- More than 2,000 schools, districts and non-profits are planning to apply for federal innovation grants.
- Arthur Goldstein outlines the first battles in what he calls “war” between the city and its teachers union.
- A pro-charter group continues its advertising blitz with an upstate radio ad campaign.
- John Merrow fondly remembers a star principal who was slain in D.C. this week.
- A teacher refuses to use the words “test prep” with his students, but says that’s all he’s doing anyway.
- Corey Bunje Bower has mixed feelings on New York’s new teacher certification plans.
- A forthcoming report on education schools in Texas is drawing controversy even before its release.
- InsideSchools takes a look at the benefits of a “gap year” between high school and college.
- An Education Sector blogger dives into the ruthlessly competitive world of bulletin board decorating.
- And what can Joel Klein learn from the NFL draft? A blogger has a list of lessons.
Remainders: Reports from inside a classroom full of test prep
By Maura Walz