- UFT prez Michael Mulgrew challenged Albany to stave off budget cuts, not change seniority rules.
- While Dan Weisberg from The New Teacher Project argued against firing young teachers first.
- Kathleen Parker, who just won the Pulitzer for commentary, recalls her “light master” teacher.
- A TV ad from pro-charter group Education Reform Now blames unions for N.Y.’s Race to the Top loss.
- La. Senator Mary Landrieu gave Duncan an earful over what she thinks is flawed RttT scoring.
- Education Sector has a break-down of teacher salaries, by credential, in Washington, D.C.
- The odds of admission to a charter school declined from 36 percent in 2008 to 28 percent last year.
- Rick Hess argues the failure of a WI voucher program just shows we haven’t created healthy markets.
- UNICEF has opened tent schools for Haitian children left without a school after the quake.
- LaGuardia HS students are abuzz with the rumor that Madonna’s daughter may join their ranks.
- And can the TV show “Glee” save arts education? A HuffPo blogger says it’s a stealth advocate.
Remainders: Duncan takes flak from senators on RttT scoring
By Maura Walz