- Four Manhattan schools have eliminated their kindergarten wait lists, DOE officials said today.
- Miss Brave was pulled into “an emergency UFT meeting” today about the possible impending layoffs.
- If there’s no fat left to trim from the DOE budget, Miss Eyre wonders, why is the department hiring?
- The winners of Race to the Top will be announced “very soon,” said Ed. Sec. Arne Duncan.
- Politics K-12 wonders if states in severe funding crises, as several finalists are, can really Race to the Top.
- Today’s entire Morning Joe show was on education reform and featured Bloomberg, Klein and Booker.
- Amanda M. Fairbanks thought the MSNBC panel was a little heavy on politicians and light on teachers.
- The DOE gave us some updated numbers on how many teachers are in the ATR pool right now.
- Federal and city officials chose five city schools for a study of PCB hazards in school buildings.
- Tucked away into the health care bill: more federal funding for abstinence education.
- Illinois is trying to reform its costly teacher pension program. The teachers union there is not too happy.
- In general, states that spend a lot on education had high NAEP reading scores, but that’s not always true.
- And things may get crazy in New York, but at least teachers here have never faked a school shooting.
Remainders: Four schools eliminate their kindergarten wait lists
By Maura Walz