- Diane Ravitch writes that the expansion of charter schools will be the origin of future scandals.
- Rick Hess has a new blog over he’ll be delivering some bitter medicine to the education world.
- Smart Boards have arrived at Pissed Off Teacher’s school, but there may be no time to learn to use them.
- Black students were 23 percent of the applicants to top city high schools, but 7 percent of the accepted.
- Mimi wonders why schools put the most difficult students in classes with the least experienced teachers.
- Peter Murphy takes issue with the DN’s disapproving tone on city-funded grants for charter school facilities.
- A bank has hired New Orleans supe Paul Vallas to build a model for a new school system for Haiti.
- The way physics teachers are trained is “largely inefficient [and] mostly incoherent,” a task force said.
- InsideSchools has the rundown of the DOE’s options for students at schools slated for closure.
- Should we make high school senior year optional? A Utah politician is suggesting it as a way to cut costs.
- And Arne Duncan had a cameo on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. (via Alexander Russo)
Remainders: Vallas to help rebuild Haitian school system
By Maura Walz