Cathie Black report:
- A state panel voted not to endorse Black for chancellor. (GothamSchools, Post, NY1, WNYC)
- Education Commissioner David Steiner, who will decide, also has “serious concerns.” (Times)
- Black could still get the job if she takes on a buddy who has education experience. (WSJ)
- UFT chief Michael Mulgrew came out against Black more strongly than before. (Post)
- The Daily News says Steiner should still appoint Black because he shouldn’t make schools policy.
- The Post says the panel’s vote wasn’t about qualifications, but about union influence.
- Adam Lisberg says trying to appoint Black wasn’t worth the hit for Bloomberg. (Daily News)
In other news:
- Conflict of interest rules could make News Corp’s Wireless Generation buy tricky for Joel Klein. (Times)
- PS 9 in Prospect Heights has a newly renovated library but can’t pay a librarian. (Brooklyn Paper)
- A parent says the dean at Achievement First Crown Heights pushed her around. (Daily News)
- In some places, students transferring from failing schools are burdening other schools. (Washington Post)
- Disgraced football player Michael Vick is touring schools to campaign against dogfighting. (Times)