- Early today, the Panel for Educational Policy voted to close 19 schools. (Times, DN, NY1, Post, WNYC)
- Read GothamSchools‘ minute-by-minute updates to see how the votes went down.
- The lead-up to the votes was filled with angry criticism of the Department of Education. (Times, NY1)
- Juan Gonzalez: Last night’s vote lays bare the way sentiment has turned against the mayor. (DN)
- One lower-profile decision by the PEP will divide Staten Island’s PS 16 into two. (Staten Island Advance)
- Joel Klein: Australians should quiet their “cynical,” “simplistic” criticism of school ratings. (The Australian)
- President Obama’s State of the Union speech will propose an education funding hike. (Washington Post)