Over in the community section, Teachers College doctoral student Alexander Hoffman is laying out his case against national standards like the ones drafted recently by education officials representing 48 states. Today, Hoffman is explaining just what people mean when they talk about standards.
Over the next week, he’ll go deeper into the problems with national and local education standards. Look forward to posts on these topics:
- Problem #1: Which Bar to Raise?
- Problem #2: An Unrealistic Bar
- Problem #3: Fear of Failure Rates
- Problem #4: Classrooms
- Problem #5: Tests Matter; Standards Do Not
- Problem #6: Local Control
- Why Does Anyone Bother?