- Three Administration for Children’s Services employees, along with two foster care workers, have been arrested for allegedly embezzling $1.5 million. (Daily News)
- Speaking to the NAACP yesterday, McCain proposed fully funding NCLB, expanding private school voucher programs, and bonuses for teachers working in high-needs schools; in his own recent speech to the NAACP, Obama proposed expanding early childhood education, a $4,000 tax credit for college, and increased pay for teachers. (NY Sun, Daily News) CNN compares recent education speeches by the two candidates.
- A teacher in Washington, DC, is recruiting students for a new private school based on John Dewey’s progressive philosophies as well as the individualized experience of homeschooling. (Washington Post)
- A new tracking tool in California shows that 1 in 4 high school students in that state drop out. In the LA Unified school district, the number is 1 in 3. (LA Times)
- Due to concerns about grade inflation in high schools, the number of universities in the UK requiring entrance exams for specific degree tracks has increased; a report warns that this could widen economic disparity as wealthier students pay for coaching. (BBC)