- In Forbes, Chancellor Joel Klein defends Gates-funded small schools against Diane Ravitch’s criticism.
- Ed Sec Margaret Spellings says Arne Duncan would make a good replacement. (Chicago Sun-Times)
- Some worry that budget cuts to after-school programs could leave kids alone and at risk. (AP)
- Former NYC schools head Ramon Cortines could become L.A.’s new superintendent. (L.A. Times)
- Sidwell Friends, where the Obama girls will go to school, has other famous parents. (Washington Post)
- Linda Darling-Hammond says her record is one of “real reform” in a letter to the Times.
- Alfie Kohn writes in favor of Darling-Hammond as education secretary in The Nation.