- The Senate adjourned for summer break early without dealing with mayoral control (Times, Daily News)
- Kevin Parker’s “Better Schools Act” was debated and voted on last night but lost 40-15. (Daily News)
- Yesterday’s control talks failed because Democrats and the mayor can’t agree on amendments. (Post)
- The Daily News says if the Senate can get anything done at all, it should also take care of school control.
- Many waitlisted kindergartners still don’t have seats in their local schools. (Downtown Express)
- The West Side Spirit profiles Insideschools’ storied history and financially troubled present.
- A dozen city students recently traveled to South Africa to meet with Nelson Mandela. (Daily News)
- This weekend is the memorial for the controversial and beloved principal Frank Mickens. (Daily News)
- Some states see charter schools as stimulus cash cows and are opening new ones. (Wall Street Journal)
- Better data management could be driving D.C.’s test score gains. (Washington Post)
- In a speech on the 100th anniversary of the NAACP, Obama pushed education. (Post)